Monday, March 28, 2011

Last week I was perusing the blogosphere when I came accross something pretty nifty. I had heard of using olive oil on old, tired, dried out wood to revitalize it, giving it more luster and new life. But the nifty thing I read said to add some vinegar to the oil.

I'm not quite sure what the vinegar's role is (maybe it helps remove some of the dirt while the oil polishes?) but I set out to give it a whirl, and I had JUST the piece to try it on. I mixed up a batch of 3/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup vinegar, grabbed an old rag, and went to town on this cute little table:



In the photo above you can see the difference from before to after. I had done the left side and stopped before reaching the right side and finishing the drawer front.

It's like the wood was so dry and dehydrated, it was thir-sty!

Before/During:


After:


And just for fun, a side by side comparison since I, apparently, was too lazy to take a true before and after photo :)

            

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference from looking at the legs. I'm diggin the results...fo sho :)

Next up I think I'll try it on this cool wooden crate and the old, wooden tool caddy sitting on top:


Happy Monday!
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a simple fix! But I'm dying to know - did it smell afterwards? From the vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Surprisingly, the table didn't smell like vinegar - only my hands did! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...